1. Are you saying that a strep infection caused your son’s mental illness?
Yes, strep has been linked to OCD, Tourette Syndrome, Anorexia and Trichotillomania (hair pulling).
2. How does strep cause Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?
Strep antibodies attack the brain.
3. What does PANDAS mean?
It’s short for Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Streptococcal Infections.
4. Was it easy to find treatment for PANDAS?
No, it was extremely difficult. Many doctors don’t believe that PANDAS exists; my son’s experience demonstrates that it does.
5. What inspired you to write the book?
I made a promise to God that I would get the information out about PANDAS, and I wrote the book that I wish someone had handed me. It would have saved us years of heartbreak.
6. What is your goal in writing the book?
I want to change the face of mental illness for children. I want parents to insist that doctors eliminate the possibility of a physical cause, like a bacteria or virus, before starting children on psychiatric medication.
7. It sounds like the book is full of medical information. Is it hard to follow?
No. It’s a compelling mother-son story - a great read - not a textbook. The medical information is included in a way that is easily understandable.
8. How long did Sammy have a strep infection before you found out he had PANDAS?
We don’t know because he never had the typical symptoms of strep, not even a sore throat.
9. How is Sammy now?
Fully recovered; he has no symptoms of OCD or Tourette's - none.
10. How can one buy the book?
The book is available in bookstores and online by clicking one of the links on the home page of this website.